Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|“||Behold the Power of Phlegyas, Guardian of the River Styx. Only he may grant passage across the swamp, to the city of darkness and the circles below.||”|
Phlegyas is the demigod son of Ares, the God of War, who fell from grace after being killed by Helios, God of the sun . In the afterlife, Phlegyas was turned into a demonic giant and condemned to the fifth circle of Hell, Anger, as punishment for burning down the Apollonian Temple of Delphi. Dante unknowingly rides across the Styx on the wrathful demigod's crown. After fighting his way towards Dis, and seeing Beatrice become Lucifer's bride, Dante takes control of Phlegyas and uses him to break into the City of Dis. When Dante reaches the circle of Heresy, Phlegyas breaks the ground he's standing on. Dante manages to jump off in time but Phlegyas breaks through the floor and plummets into the pits.
In the animated film, Phlegyas's appearance is more toned down as he appears in the film as a green-skinned humanoid who willingly took Dante and Virgil through the fifth circle of Hell without incident. He was knocked out by Lucifer when Dante controlled Phlegyas to charge him.
- In Greek mythology, Phlegyas was an infamous king who, out of anger for Apollo, burnt down the Temple of the Oracle at Delphi, but was then slain by Apollo shortly afterwards.
- In "The Inferno", Dante makes Phlegyas the ferryman of the River Styx, in the fifth circle of Hell. The reason for choosing Phlegyas could've been because of how his story is one of great anger, thus a fitting entity for the circle in which the sin of Anger is punished.
- After Phlegyas emerges from the River Styx, he makes a noise which is a reused roar of the Hive Mind from Dead Space and Dead Space: Extraction; another popular title by EA and Visceral Games.
- In the video game, Phlegyas' vocal effects were computer generated. In the animated film, Phlegyas' vocal effects were provided by Kevin Michael Richardson.
- Despite Phlegyas's monstrous apperance, he never directly attacks Dante. Though he does indirectly kill some of Dante's enemies, Phlegyas appears largely indifferent to Dante's presence.
- Though Phlegyas appears as a being made of lava and molten rock, many of his pictures show only that his top half is scorching and his legs are more rock than fire. Since phlegyas' feet are deeper in the water of the river styx and less fiery, one can assume that the bog is a cool, damp swamp unlike the phlegethon.
- On the PSP, the saving spot for Pleghyas is called Phlegyus.
|Death · King Minos · Cleopatra · Marc Antony · Cerberus · Alighiero · Phlegyas · Francesco · Lucifer|