|Locations||Hall of Gluttons|
Gluttony was the third Circle of Hell.
- "What these shades could not satisfy in life, in death, they shall be denied for eternity."
After defeating Cleopatra and descending down from the circle of Lust, Dante journeyed to the next circle, Gluttony. The circle was populated mostly by gluttonous demons, great landscapes made of living organs, violent storms, mud, piles of human waste and giant gorger worms with insatiable appetites. In this circle are those who are punished for over-indulged in food, drink and addictions in the world above, placing such things above all things including their fellow man, forced to slosh around forever in the vile muck that made up most of the circle. There, Dante must face the "great worm," Cerberus, a massive stomach with three worm-like heads protruding from an open maw.
Continuing on to Greed, Lucifer stopped Dante briefly in the Hall of Gluttons, an area where the high status gluttons are eternally eaten by demons and where "up," could mean any direction so Lucifer could frustrate Dante.
Areas of the CircleEdit
- Cerberus - "The ravenous hellhound was a torturer of gluttons. He feasted on our souls and disgorged them so he may always eat with insatiable hunger."-Ciacco
- Hall of Gluttons - As punishment for their lavish indulgence, the shades who lived are now constantly devoured and excreted by several Gluttons for eternity.
- Gluttony comes from the Latin word gluttire (gloot-teer-AY), which means "to gulp down," or "to swallow." The original sin of Gluttony encompassed overeating, as well as wasting food, or dressing it to make it overly luxurious. Food is precious, especially when scarce, which explains the inclusion of Gluttony as a Deadly Sin.
- According to Dante, Gluttony was a form of Divine Love for sustenance, perverted into an obsession with food to the point of waste, which is why it is only designated as the third circle rather than a lower one. Other sins derived from corrupted Divine Love (Lust, Greed) are also found in the higher circles of Hell (Circles 2 and 4 respectively).
|Nine Circles of Hell|
|Limbo · Lust · Gluttony · Greed · Anger · Heresy · Violence · Fraud · Treachery|