All creatures from each circle
- "Ten ditches leading down the final circle. Each filled with its own crimes, its own forms of punishment." -Thais
Fraud is the eighth Circle of Hell.
- "I live in shame, a whore awash in sewage. I confess I teased and seduced hundreds, led them to sin for my own gains. But I am just one of many who suffer here in the Malebolge." -Thais
Fraud is an extremely dark place that holds those guilty of deliberate, knowing evil, who used lies and deception for personal gain. This circle is divided into ten ditches, each holding a different type of liar and each has a different form of punishment. This circle is also home to every single demon and monster that appeared in the other circles. Each step down Fraud is a small arena in which the player will have to fight through the creatures of hell.
The ten ditches of the Malebolge are:
- Panderers and Seducers: "The panderers and seducers will spend eternity beaten, prodded and whipped by Lucifer's lieutenants."
- Flatters: "My brethren in the Malebolge, we flounder in sewage and waste."
- Simony: "Sellers of favors, crimes against the church. They are trapped in baptismal baths, their feet eternally in flames."
- Diviners: "The fortune tellers should have known that they cannot see with the eyes of God. They walk with their heads backwards, their eyes awash in tears."
- Grafters: "Great, winged demons tend to the grafters, who stole and embezzled in life. They are thrown into deep, vile pits."
- Hypocrites: "The cloaks of the hypocrites appear regal and noble, and yet worn as punishment, each lined with crippling lead."
- Thieves: "Thieves are held and bitten by serpents. The venom burns them to ash only so they may reform and suffer again."
- Evil Counselors: "Evil advisers who used their forked-tongues for counsel serving their own ends. They stand ablaze."
- Sowers of Discord: "They hold their heads and innards, the chaos they caused in life, cast upon them in death."
- Falsifiers: "All thoughts of pain and suffering fall upon the falsifiers. Hear their wailing and be warned."
- In the Divine Comedy, Fraud is separated into different Bolgias:
- In the Panderers and Seducers Bolgia, Dante encounters Venedico Caccianemico and Jason.
- In the Flatters Bolgia, Dante encounters Alessio Interminei of Lucca and Thais.
- In the Simony Bolgia, Dante encounters Pope Nicholas III and Simon Magus.
- In the Diviners Bolgia, Dante encounters Amphiaraus, Tiresias, Tiresias' daughter Manto, Aruns, Michael Scot, Alberto de Casalodi, and Guido Bonatti.
- The Grafters Bolgia is guarded by the Melebranche (a type of devil) led by Malacoda.
- In the Hypocrites Bolgia, Dante encounters Catalano, Loderingo, and Caiaphas.
- The Thieves Bolgia is guarded by Cacus the Centaur who has a fire-breathing dragon on his shoulder. In Greek Mythology, Cacus was a fire-breathing monster that was slain by Hercules. Vanni Fucci is turned to ashes and resurrected, Agnello is blended with the six-legged reptile that is Cianfa, and Buoso exchanges shapes with the four-legged Francesco.
- In the Evil Counselors Bolgia, Dante encounters Oddyseus and Diomedes (who are condemned here for their role in the Trojan Horse), and Guido da Montefeltro.
- In the Sowers of Discord Bolgia, a sword-wielding demon hacks away at the Sowers of Discord. Dante encounters Fra Dolcino and Bertran de Born.
- In the Falsifiers Bolgia, Potifar's Wife (who had a false accusation of Joseph) and Sinon (a Greek Spy who tricked the Trojans into taking the Trojan Horse into Troy) are mentioned to be here as well as The Spendthrift Club and Myrrha. Sinon is here instead of the Evil Counselors Bolgia because his advice was false as well as evil.
- It is interesting to note that you never get to see any of the souls condemned to the Malebolge suffering their respective punishment. All that you get is a statue showing what the sinner's condemnation is on the side of the arena above each ditch. Screams can be heard coming up from the inky darkness below each arena however.
|Nine Circles of Hell|
|Limbo · Lust · Gluttony · Greed · Anger · Heresy · Violence · Fraud · Treachery|